It appears that Latos will not have to go all the way back to the drawing board, however.
"Part way back. It was a 10-day period of no throwing to get the inflammation out of his elbow," Reds manager Bryan Price said on Friday. "It looks like from everything we've heard that mission so far has been accomplished. He's throwing without discomfort. He's been doing a lot of cardio work and strengthening work. So that part has been good. He's not going to go back and throw six bullpens and two live batting practices and start with one inning in a simulated game. If we don't have any setbacks, I imagine he could go out and throw somewhere in neighborhood of 45-60 pitches. I think it would be relatively safe if he's feeling good."
Latos has spent the regular season on the disabled list. Alfredo Simon has a 1.30 ERA in four starts while taking his place in the rotation.
Price did not have an estimated time for when Latos could throw off of a mound again.
"I probably have to lay eyes on him to know for sure and get the recommendation of Dr. [Tim] Kremchek," Price said. "I don't know when the intensity of the throwing will pick up, the length, the duration and distance. When he can go out there and play a good long toss and throw the ball aggressively on flat ground, the next step would be to throw. It's probably a small handful of two or three bullpens before we get him back to facing hitters."
Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Mark My Word, and follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.