CINCINNATI -- Mat Latos wanted to make something very clear in the Reds' clubhouse before Tuesday's game against the Mets.
One day after it was reported that Latos has been battling an abdominal strain since late June, the 25-year-old right-hander was adamant that wasn't entirely true. When asked about the report, Latos first said he had no comment before making it known he's healthy and has been for some time.
"I got hurt and pitched with it," Latos said. "I'm done with it, and it's gone. It's gone, and it's over with. Write that down."
The Cincinnati Enquirer reported on Monday that Latos said he suffered the injury during a 3-2 loss to the Rangers on June 30, when he went 6 2/3 innings and allowed two earned runs. Although he was quoted as saying he had been dealing with the injury ever since, Latos said it hasn't been an issue for about a month.
On Tuesday, head trainer Paul Lessard confirmed what Latos said, but added that he couldn't get into much detail.
"His lower ab was irritated a couple months ago," Lessard said. "All I know is it was something he dealt with a while ago, but it's nothing he's receiving treatment for."
For the year, Latos is 14-6 with a 3.23 ERA. In 14 starts since his outing in Texas, he's gone 7-4 with a 3.46 ERA, including two shutouts and his first complete game of the season on Sept. 2.
Jeremy Warnemuende is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.