CINCINNATI -- Just over one month since a setback that shut him down, Reds reliever Sean Marshall resumed a throwing program on Monday.
"We were only out 60 feet, but we were starting up the process again," Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said on Tuesday. "He's been down for a while. If all goes well, we might speed it up vs. the offseason throwing program."
Marshall has been on the disabled list since May 24 with a sprained left shoulder. He had been making steady progress toward returning until mid-July, when he felt soreness following a bullpen session.
Assuming there aren't any issues, Marshall will throw again on Wednesday and continue to work on strengthening his shoulder.
Meanwhile, Reds rotation ace Johnny Cueto is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam on Friday to see if he has shown any improvement. Cueto, who has yet to resume throwing, went on the DL for a third time on June 29 because of a strained right lat muscle.
"If it shows improvement, he may start throwing as well," Lessard said. "But it all depends. His strength numbers are better than they have been. His last scan [last Friday] still showed the strain was maybe 75 percent healed. We're hoping it's a little closer to zero before we start a throwing program."
Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Mark My Word, and follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon. Jeremy Warnemuende is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.