Leake's job most likely secure when Cueto returns

Leake's job most likely secure when Cueto returns

PHILADELPHIA -- The Reds have listed Mike Leake as their probable starter for Tuesday's game against the Mets, which seems to end any remaining speculation about his status on the roster.

With Johnny Cueto set to come off the disabled list for Monday's series opener against New York, someone has to come off of the roster. Logic indicated it came down to Leake or Friday night's starter, rookie lefty Tony Cingrani.

Manager Dusty Baker said earlier this week that Leake was not pitching for his job. But Leake certainly helped his cause by posting a 2.79 ERA in his last three starts since a bad three-inning outing April 27 at Washington.

Leake, the team's fifth starter, will now be stationed between ace Cueto and No. 2 starter Mat Latos, who will pitch Wednesday's series finale versus Matt Harvey. There was no specific effort made to split up Cueto and Latos in the order.

"It's when Johnny was ready, and we had to re-tweak the rotation as it was because of Cingrani needing the extra day," Baker said Friday. "That kind of changed everything. A lot of times you have a reason, but this is for no particular reason. [Monday] is Johnny's day to pitch."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Mark My Word, and follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.