Mesoraco in Reds' lineup day after ejection

Mesoraco in Reds' lineup day after ejection

CINCINNATI -- No word had been given as of Tuesday afternoon as to whether Reds rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco's ejection from Monday night's game will result in any further consequences.

Mesoraco was thrown out of the game by home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild in the third inning of the Reds' 11-5 loss to the Padres for arguing balls and strikes. The exchange got heated and Mesoraco made contact with Fairchild as he was being restrained by manager Dusty Baker.

"It happened and for me, there's nothing that can be done about it now," Mesoraco said. "It's over with and I'm going to move on."

Mesoraco said he isn't familiar with the process for suspensions or fines, and he was back in the Reds' lineup Tuesday to catch for Homer Bailey.

"I think that's kind of what I expected, just to go out there and play. I just continue what I've been doing and go about my business," Mesoraco said. "It happened and nothing can be done about it now. It wasn't the first time I ever got thrown out, and I'm sure it won't be the last. It's just something that happened and something that's over with now, and [I'll] move on."

Mesoraco and Ryan Hanigan are the only two catchers on the Reds' 40-man roster. Either Dioner Navarro or Corky Miller could get summoned to replace Mesoraco if he is suspended, but that would mean an additional roster move would be needed.

Baker simply said, "It's too early," when asked if he's heard any new news on a punishment.