CINCINNATI -- Following the acquisition of pitcher Mat Latos from the Padres over the weekend, the Reds and general manager Walt Jocketty are far from through making moves. Jocketty is already parked at his Phoenix-area house for the holidays, but has set up in his home office as a western base of operations. "We're staying busy," Jocketty said on Monday. "I've got everything I need here."
Except, of course, a closer and a left fielder. Jocketty hinted he had a couple of irons in the fire that indicated something might happen during the holidays, but did not give specifics. One left fielder he won't be acquiring is Jason Kubel, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the D-backs on Monday. "We were interested in Kubel and I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "The level money-wise, we weren't going to get to that level." There are several other veteran right-handed-hitting outfielders that could be had. Talks have continued with the agent for free agent Cody Ross, who most recently has played for the Giants. "I spoke with his agent last week. He's still part of the mix," Jocketty said. I think we're going to look at the pitching situation. First, we'll address the bullpen a little bit. Once I get pitching done and know what we have left to spend, we'll know more about left field." Other free-agent left fielders available include Ryan Ludwick and Rick Ankiel -- both of whom played for Jocketty in St. Louis -- as well as Pat Burrell, Carlos Guillen and Jason Michaels. With some of the money saved by dealing Edinson Volquez and Yonder Alonso to the Padres for Latos, Jocketty indicated that free-agent closer Francisco Cordero could be back in play for Cincinnati. Talks have resumed with Cordero's agent. "Nothing is that close," Jocketty said. The list of available closers has become quite thin as Cordero and Ryan Madson remain from a large group that started the offseason. Brad Lidge, who did not close last season, is still out there as well.